Learning to Wait

 I explored with my mind how to stimulate my body with wine while my mind was guiding me wisely, and how to take hold of folly, until I could see what good there is for the sons of men to do under heaven the few years of their lives. I enlarged my works: I built houses for myself; I planted vineyards for myself; I made gardens and parks for myself, and I planted in them all kinds of fruit trees; I made ponds of water for myself from which to irrigate a forest of growing trees. I bought male and female slaves and I had homeborn slaves. Also, I possessed flocks and herds larger than all who preceded me in Jerusalem. Also, I collected for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces. I provided for myself male and female singers and the pleasures of men—many concubines. Then I became great and increased more than all who preceded me in Jerusalem. My wisdom also stood by me. All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor. Thus, I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted and behold, all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun.           Ecclesiastes 2:3-11

Upon being declared King of Israel, Solomon recognized he needed more wisdom, namely, an understanding heart to judge God’s people, and God gave him that wisdom as well as untold riches and long life (1 Kings 3:9-14). God had given him everything he wanted without waiting for it. This began his pursuit to find meaning to his life. The above passage in Ecclesiastes is Solomon’s account of this pursuit. He didn’t have to wait to try anything since he had unlimited wealth and power. All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor. He discovered that all his efforts could be characterized as striving after wind. He did not wait.

Waiting for an Answer 

I will stand on my guard post and station myself on the rampart; And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me, and how I may reply when I am reproved. Then the Lord answered me and said, “Record the vision and inscribe it on tablets, that the one who reads it may run. “For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal, and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come, it will not delay. “Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; but the righteous will live by his faith.       Habakkuk 2:1-4

In the above passage, Habakkuk asks the Lord why He would use such an evil nation, Babylon, to be His agent for judgment against Judah, the Southern Kingdom. Habakkuk is so moved to receive the answer that he tells Yahweh that he cannot be occupied with other things until he gets an answer. Each of us may have similar situations that are difficult to confront without a specific definition from God, so we must wait. God promises the prophet will hear from God at the proper time. The Lord also ties the principle of waiting to a walk of faith. Walking by faith and not sight (2 Corinthians 5:7) means the believer operates on His timetable. Habakkuk confronts the Lord further on this issue in chapter 3:

Waiting Quietly 

I heard and my inward parts trembled, at the sound my lips quivered. Decay enters my bones, and in my place I tremble. Because I must wait quietly [nuwach – rest, settle down] for the day of distress, for the people to arise who will invade us. Though the fig tree should not blossom and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail, and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, Yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds’ feet, and makes me walk on my high places [mountains].        Habakkuk 3:16-19 

The Lord has given him a heads-up related to the upcoming invasion by Nebuchadnezzar, so the prophet waits for the impending doom with rest and quietness, knowing he does not need to act. According to Psalm 37:7, David says, Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. When the believer takes up residence in his faith in God, he is secure. He can then see beyond the physical evidence before him. No blossoming fig trees, no olive crop, no produce in the fields, and no cattle in the stalls do not satisfy the believer's expectation that these realities are temporary. The Lord God is my strength, and He makes the believer walk on high places and mountains, speaking of the elevation of the temple, representing the presence of God and His sanctuary. 

Strength in Weakness

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new [renew] strength; they will mount up [alah - ascension to a higher place] with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.       Isaiah 40:28-31   

The Apostle Paul understood the principle of being weak so that God would be strong in any situation. In 2 Corinthians 12:10, Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. The Lord promised Isaiah that the one who learns how to wait for God to show up in any circumstance will ascend beyond his natural ability to find a place where his energy to walk with God will expand to new heights. Eagles are some of the largest species of birds, and they fly during storms and glide from the wind's pressure, operating on a power not their own.

God is Sovereign

Another Old Testament saint who had encounters with waiting on God was Job. Early in his trial, he was able to discern that letting God do what He wished with Job’s life was acceptable, even though Job did not understand why or for what purpose. In Job 13:15, Job says, “Though He slay me, I will hope [yahal – wait, tarry] in Him. Nevertheless, I will argue my ways before Him.  Psalm 115:3 tells us, But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases. It teaches us that God is sovereign. Am I going to continue to accept great tribulation, believing that God is in the trial, but it is temporary? Job’s commentary in chapter 14 adds further context: 

“For there is hope for a tree, when it is cut down, that it will sprout again, and its shoots will not fail. “Though its roots grow old in the ground and its stump dies in the dry soil, at the scent of water it will flourish and put forth sprigs like a plant. “But man dies and lies prostrate. Man expires, and where is he? “As water evaporates from the sea, and a river becomes parched and dried up, so man lies down and does not rise. Until the heavens are no longer, he will not awake nor be aroused out of his sleep. “Oh, that You would hide me in Sheol, that You would conceal me until Your wrath returns to You, that You would set a limit for me and remember me! “If a man dies, will he live again? All the days of my struggle I will wait until my change comes. “You will call, and I will answer You; You will long for the work of Your hands. “For now, You number my steps, You do not observe my sin. “My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and You wrap up my iniquity.         Job 14:7-17

In light of his trial, considering the loss of his ten children and the physical afflictions he was still experiencing, Job was considering his own death. He references Sheol, a noun meaning the world of the dead, the grave, death, or the depths. The word describes the underworld but is usually in the sense of the grave and is most often translated as grave. He was considering life after death, although unsure what that looks like. Does life in the physical realm have any effect on the afterlife? Job is now contemplating that, whether in this life or later, a change in his situation would come. He also understands that, although God numbers (counts) Job’s sins, He does not observe his sin, that “My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and You wrap up my iniquity. He is echoing the sentiments of Psalm 103:12, As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.

Seeing the Redeemer

Progressively, Job begins to anticipate a Redeemer, that He lives, referenced previously in Job 9:33 as an umpire, yakah, a mediator: “There is no umpire between us, Who may lay his hand upon us both. “Let Him remove His rod from me and let not dread of Him terrify me. “Then I would speak and not fear Him; but I am not like that in myself” (Job 9:33-35). In chapter 19, Job sees the Redeemer as One who will take His stand on the earth (Verse 25). The next verse says, Even after my skin is destroyed, yet from my flesh I shall see God; Whom I myself shall behold, and whom my eyes will see and not another. My heart faints within me! To see God while still being in the flesh is an amazing consideration. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" (Matthew 5:8).

“But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold. “My foot has held fast to His path; I have kept His way and not turned aside. “I have not departed from the command of His lips; I have treasured [sapan – storing or treasuring things on account of their great value] the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.         Job 23:10-12 

Job can now discern that the trial he is experiencing is intended for Job’s good so that he will come forth as gold. He was learning how to wait on God. It was his attitude toward the Word of God, treasuring the words of His mouth more than my necessary food. Job has held fast to the Lord’s paths and kept His ways. In placing great value on the Word of God, Job does not depart from the command of His lips. The author of Psalm 119 has a similar testimony: 

My soul languishes for Your salvation; I wait for Your word. My eyes fail with longing for Your word, while I say, “When will You comfort me?” Though I have become like a wineskin in the smoke, I do not forget Your statutes. How many are the days of Your servant? When will You execute judgment on those who persecute me? The arrogant have dug pits for me, men who are not in accord with Your law. All Your commandments are faithful; they have persecuted me with a lie; help me! They almost destroyed me on earth, but as for me, I did not forsake Your precepts. Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, so that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.        Psalm 119:81-88

Waiting and Maturity

Psalms 25, a psalm of David, addresses different stages in the life of godliness. Some have only started in the race, while others are nearing the goal. Some have only put on their armor, while others have bravely borne themselves in many fights and await their crown. John Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress is an allegory addressing a believer, Christian, and his journey from his hometown, The City of Destruction, to the Celestial City. Some pilgrims have only entered by the wicket-gate (Jesus Christ), while others have gone through most of their pilgrimage; they have climbed the Hill Difficulty, have passed safely through the Valley of Humiliation and Vanity Fair, have stood on the Delectable Mountains, and are now resting in the pleasant Land of Beulah, till called home to the Celestial City. David speaks as a mature man of wisdom and piety. His voice is not that of one beginning the spiritual life but rather of one who, like the Apostle Paul, has seen many days and has gathered large stores of experience:

To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in You I trust, do not let me be ashamed; do not let my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none of those who wait for You will be ashamed; those who deal treacherously without cause will be ashamed. Make me know Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You I wait all the day. Remember, O Lord, Your compassion and Your lovingkindnesses, for they have been from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to Your lovingkindness remember me, for Your goodness’ sake, O Lord.         Psalm 25:1-7 

The mature believer has been taken on a celestial journey, led by the Spirit of God, and is being conformed to the image of Christ through his experiences. In trusting His God, he has learned the valuable role waiting plays in his relationship with the Lord. He has no shame in any challenge he faces; the ones who bring opposition will be ashamed. Being led by the Holy Spirit, being taught by the Spirit of Truth, he is reminded of the compassion and lovingkindness of God. By waiting, he can conclude that God is a good God.

Restoring the Kingdom

Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," He said, "you heard of from Me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now [ten days]." So, when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, "Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?" He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."          Acts 1:4-8 

Some of Jesus’s last words to His disciples before His ascension included a command to wait. They would receive the Holy Spirit with power in ten days, and the world would be changed forever. Their questions about the timing of His return and the restoration of the kingdom of Israel were met with His answer, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority.” Instead of giving them any timelines, He told them the Holy Spirit would be their timeline. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, they would be trained in the principle of walking by faith and not sight and living in a consistent attitude of hope, a confident expectation. Paul wrote about the importance of this hope in Romans 8:24-25: For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it. The Greek word translated perseverance is hupomone, and it means endurance, patience, perseverance, or constancy under suffering in faith and duty. Waiting is not passive but is accompanied by an eagerness for God’s perfect provisions and plan.

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judge Not

The Seven Noahide Laws

Migdal Eder